As we near the end of of 2008, it’s been very clear that the use of key-specific autotune or the Vocoder effect has been a huge hit, and at the forefront of it all has been T-Pain. Whether you like him or not, I think the following comments are fair:
- T-Pain has the vocoder on too strong, and his voice ‘wobbles’ at the end of notes, rather than a nice crisp finish
- He’s delivered something relatively traditional (see California Love or One More Time) and repositioned it with main stream audience.
As previously discussed, auto-tune has a lot of stigma attached, but when used well, it can be a really interesting and colourful effect. Although it might be hiding T-Pain’s real talent.
So here are the biggest hits for 2008 featuring the vocoder effect, including T-Pain’s new video “Can’t Believe It” — the first innovative hip hop clip I’ve seen in a long time.
- T-Pain ft. Lil Wayne – Can’t Believe It
- Rhianna – Disturbia
- Lil Wayne – Lollipop
- Lady GaGa – Just Dance
- Chris Brown featuring T-Pain – Kiss Kiss (I love this track because T-Pain swaps his Vocoder with Brown)
- Chris Brown – Forever (I really fucking hate this song)
- T.I. Feat. Rihanna – Live Your Life
- Kanye West – Love Lockdown